I joined this thing called Literary Salon. It's like a book club for people who have no friends and can't agree on anything...or at least it is for me. Everyone just shares the books they have been reading with the group. It's pretty interesting to hear about other people's passions, humor and choices. But, to my sadness, I have learned that I am ADD with books. I can not focus on one book for long enough to finish it in a timely manner. I get distracted with other books, Netflix, projects, sleep, picking my toes, crochet, day dreaming....just about anything will keep me from finishing a book in a normal amount of time. I finally found one that held my attention long enough to finish. Half of this was because it wasn't very long! The other half is because it's for teenagers. It is called Zel, it's by Donna Jo Napoli. It's a retelling of Rapunzel, which is why I chose it. I've been telling the kids fairy tales and Rapunzel is one of Nigel's favorites. He even retold it for the Winter Solstice Story Telling at the Public Library in front of the crowd (he had been invited to) So, anyway. I've kicked up my interest in fairy tales, I've always loved them. Now I'm trying to be a little more adult and read like the underlying crap. But I also enjoy all the retellings as well as the classic versions. I have found a quad-trillion retold revamped versions of fairy tales on good ol' Amazon.com. I barely know where to start....I figured I'd try to read every Rapunzel version first, just as a starting point. But, as usual, I got distracted with all the other choices and stories and and and.... so, I'll just go to my library and see what they have on hand and start there.
I think it's interesting how about 10 years ago it was really en vogue to tell the withches/wolf's side of the story in fairy tales, and now it's really cool to tell the dark and sexy side. I am wondering what this all points to in our society since fairy tales are the common morality stories of a culture.....
Visual by www.ellynlusis.com
No comments:
Post a Comment